Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Popsicles!

Yay for warm weather!!! One of the fun warm weather things I loved doing when I was little was making our own popsicles. But it can get pretty messy. Grape juice melting all over perfectly good clothes. Spilling on the floor and making one big sticky mess... So what a wonderful invention when they started making slow melt popsicles! Same deliciousness but no sticky hands... or less sticky hands anyway. Then I had an epiphany! Why not have the fun of homemade and the no mess of the slow melt. 

So yesterday the kids and I took a trip to wal-mart. Picked up some popsicle molds and a package of cherry jello. I just poured a little of the jello powder in a bowl, poured in about 1/4 C boiling water and stirred till dissolved. Then combined with the Apple-Grape juice we had in the fridge, poured into the mold, placed the tops on and spilled the entire thing all over the cluttered counter, down the side of the dishwasher, the floor and myself... no joke. (hindsight: definitely should have taken a picture of that) But!.. I had mixed plenty more than I needed so after banning the children from the kitchen, cleaning up the sticky mess and changing my clothes I re-poured the molds and transferred them safely to the freezer to chill overnight. 

So we wake up this morning to GREY skies :( and a bit of drizzle :(( Normally I would love this but bummer because it's just not as fun having a popsicle in the misty midday as it is in the noonday heat. But when you're a kid, who cares?! B and A definitely didn't. :)


Totally successful on the slow melting, by the way. Not a drop! And they were quite delicious. The possibilities are endless with all the different jello flavors, juice flavors. I may even try it with some fruit puree in the future. Mmmmmm, strawberries. Lets make that a definite yes on the future pureed fruit-pop! I'm thinking pineapple juice and pureed strawberries with a little kiwi jello, maybe. Y-U-M!

No comments: